Friday, February 9, 2007

The Art of Writing a Business Letter.

Never underestimate the time and energy that goes into your basic form letter.

Me: You know, Broker Man, it's not, "...inviting you to invest with myself and Company,..." it's, "inviting you to invest with ME and Company."

Broker Man: No, it's not. It's "myself."

Me: No, you should be able to remove Company from the sentence and still have the sentence make sense. It doesn't work that way with "myself" but it does with "me."

Broker Man: I still think you're wrong. I think "myself" is correct.

Me: That's because you like to refer to yourself in the third person in conversations.

Broker Man: Are you sure we can't write our letters that way? "Broker Man would like for you to invest..." Can we just use "myself?" I think it sounds better.

Me: Let me put it to you like this. Would you go home, get naked, canoodle with your wife and say, "Honey... take myself. Rub myself. Love myself?"

...

Broker Man: Boy, Dad's going to pissed when he finds out he wasted all of that money on a private school education.

No comments: